CocoCay is a private island of Royal Caribbean (company that makes world cruises). Its beaches are beautiful, typical of the Caribbean. The color of the sea is indescribable, it is calm, no waves and the water is warm and clear.
CocoCay is located near Nassau in the Bahamas on a set of Islands named Berry Islands. The island was originally called Little Stirrup Cay but after Royal Caribbean took over the lease of the island renamed as Coco Cay.
The only way to visit CocoCay is through one of the cruises offered by the company. Most Royal Caribbean cruises pass by CocoCay. Check out the tips of the Cruise Ship Majesty of the Seas.
Because of the depth of the water around the island, ships stop a little away from the port. The rest of the route is done by smaller vessels leaving every 15 minutes. However this route is really fast.
The island has an excellent infrastructure as in ships. There are chairs, sun loungers, hammocks, bathrooms … All well maintained and clean. And all colored in an atmosphere quite nice. Also features live music, food and drink.
The food on the island is released and there are bars everywhere which offer various types of drinks. The drinks are paid except for those who have purchased packages of drinks on the boat.
The island is small and it is possible to give a complete turn in less than an hour.
The return schedule for the ship varies depending on the chosen cruise.
What to do in CocoCay
For those who just want to rest and admire the beauty of the place can simply relax in one of the 4 existing beaches on the island. The Snorkel Beach Water Sports, Beach, Coconut Willy’s Beach and Barefoot Beach, all with lifeguards.
As stated earlier the chairs, lounge chairs and networks are available all over the island and the use is free. To use the umbrella is need to rent for $ 20. However this is not necessary since there are several places with shadow.
The beach sand is bright but is a little thick. For the wheelchair wheel chains are adapted so that they can walk more easily.
Each beach has a feature. The Barefoot Beach is a quiet beach and away from the island, ideal for those who want to relax. For those who enjoy scuba diving and snorkel should pass on Snorkel Beach. The Snorkel Beach has several choirs and even rest of shipwrecks. Water Sports Beach as the name suggests is ideal for water sports. And finally the Coconut Willy’s Beach is ideal for children and is where the Aqua Park.
There are activities for every age but prepare the Pocket as everything is paid and the prices are right.
- Wave Runner is a Jet Ski Ride of 1:0. You even fly the Jet Ski but the tour is done in Group (guided tour). Costs around $ 95 for Jet Ski. The guide showing you things and you know the whole coast.
- Kayak Adventure: kayaking for up to two people. More information.
- Caylanas Aqua Park: is the floating playground for children. More information.
- Parasail: is a ride where you get hung up on one wing (parasail) like a parachute and is pulled by a boat. the flight reaches 120 meters high where you can get a panoramic view of the island. More information.
- CocoCay Nature Walk: guided nature walk to a secluded beach. You can do the tour on their own without paying anything. More information.
- Floating Beach Mat: more information
- Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Party Boat: more information.
- Water Slide: is a waterslide inflatable. You buy the pass for use during the whole day. More information.
- Scuba Dive: diving-professional Equipment can be rented for certified divers. You need to show a diving record in the last two years. More information.
- Snorkel: take a dip and see the beautiful coral reefs, colorful tropical fish and remains of shipwrecks.
Wreckage: Plane and Spanish galleon with cannon
There is a small plane submerged near the beach that you can view using only a snorkel. The plane was placed deliberately.
A red buoy marks a replica of a Spanish galleon wreck complete with cannons.
Fish are abundant in both shipwrecks because they are fed by officials of the cruise. Even if you lose the fish feed, they will swim up to you to check for food.
The Straw Market
Map of CocoCay
- Floating Mat Station
- Island Oasis
- Adventure Ocean
- Snorkel Shack
- First Aid
- Island Manager’s Office
- Wacky Seagull Bar
- Blackbeard d Grill
- Junkanoo Jacks Bar
- Hair Braiding
- Back to Ship Terminal
- Floating Mat Station
- Straw Market
- Parasail Adventure & Glass Bottom Boat Tours
- Bahama Jack’s Bar and Grill
- Volleyball Courts
- Floating Mat Station & Water Sports Rentals
- Wave Jet Tour
- Wacky Seagull Jr.
- Nature Trail
- Fisher-Price Power Wheels ® Track
- Water Slide
- Caylana’s Aqua Park
- Coconut Willies Bar
- Kayak Adventure
- Floating Mat Station
- Eco Boat Tour
- Information Booth
More pictures of CocoCay
How to get to CocoCay
As stated earlier, the only way to visit CocoCay is through one of the cruises offered by Royal Caribbean. Check out some of the ships that pass through there.
Ships that pass by CocoCay
Anthem Of The Seas
- Enchantment Of The Seas
Freedom Of The Seas
Grandeur Of The Seas
Jewel Of The Seas
Navigator Of The Seas
It’s worth getting off the ship?
For anyone who’s wondering if it’s worth getting off the ship to meet the island my tip is that is very worthwhile. The island is simply fantastic. Has all the infrastructure of the ship. Even if you don’t do any paid activities of the island you will have the opportunity to at least meet the beaches. So, why not?
The boats that lead to the island are moving throughout the day so you can get back to the ship on time you want.
For those who want to relax, well worth knowing.
And you? You know the island? Leave your comment talking about what you like best of CocoCay